NIHR CLAHRC CAHPR Career Development Opportunity
This secondment opportunity is for an AFC band 6 or 7 (or equivalent) Allied Health Professional to work with NIHR CLAHRC Yorkshire and Humber and CAHPR 1 day per week for 3 months to undertake a project around an AHP Clinician Researcher Career Competency Framework. The secondment will enable the successful candidate to further develop their research and project management skills.
Recent CAHPR events have identified that clinicians who do not currently engage in research are unclear as to where to start, perceive that they do not have adequate skills and find it challenging to find time alongside their busy clinical workload. It is proposed that an AHP Clinician Researcher Career Competency Framework to support AHPs who would like to engage in research would be valuable.
The project will be to scope what career competency frameworks currently exist and to identify what needs to be developed or adapted for use by the regional CAHPR networks.
The project secondment objectives are:
- to scope and review from wide ranging literature what clinical research career frameworks for non-medical staff currently exist and to undertake a critical review of them.
- to conduct workshops to gather opinions regarding the suitability of what is already available and to identify what is needed for further development from a principal investigator skills perspective, an NHS employers and other employers perspectives.
- to produce a scoping document that captures the findings and recommendations.
The secondment will be based at the NIHR CLAHRC offices in Sheffield, or as negotiated.
The secondment will be co-supervised by Prof Jo Cooke NIHR CLAHRC YH and Dr Kate Grafton SY CAHPR Hub co-lead, Sheffield Hallam University, with support from Dr Rebecca Palmer from University of Sheffield
- masters levels or above
- literature review and evaluation skills
- experience of running workshops / focus group
- experience of communicating with different stakeholders
- an able to work independently
Funding: up to £3000 for salary costs and up to £500 for project workshops
Eligibility: you must live or work in the Yorkshire and Humber region and be a member of the Yorkshire or South Yorkshire CAHPR hubs.
Secondment dates: November 2017, the start date can be flexible.
To apply please email you application to Dr Kate Grafton firstname.lastname@example.org before 10am on Monday 25th September 2017. Please include:
- Your CV
- A statement (max 1 side A4) of why you would be good and effective at undertaking the project and delivering the project objectives.
- A letter of support from your line manager indicating how they will support you to be available for the project. The project must be undertaken as a secondment from or an extension to an existing contract.
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 4th October 2017 in the afternoon at the CLAHRC Yorkshire and Humber offices at Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield S10 2JF
If you would like to discuss the opportunity further please contact either:
Professor Jo Cooke, Deputy Director and Capacity Lead NIHR CLAHRC Yorkshire and Humber Jo.Cooke@sth.nhs.uk or
Dr Kate Grafton, South Yorkshire CAHPR Hub Co-Lead, Sheffield Hallam University email@example.com
You can find out more about CAHPR visit www.csp.org.uk/cahpr
To join and be included in CAHPR updates please contact Stephanie Portier S.J.Portier@shu.ac.uk
To find out more about CLAHRC’s capacity building work please visit https://goo.gl/gCKhCh